- Referenda: 10% of the voters who voted in the last General Election.
- Local Initiative 20% of the voters who voted in the last municipal elections.
- Recall – 33.3% of the voters who voted in the last election of the office held.
- Nominations: Varied Fee and Signature Requirements
- Deadlines: Recall: NO TIME LIMIT FOR SIGNATURE COLLECTION!
Home Rule allows 11 cities to have Initiative and Referendum rights including: Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Clovis, Gallup, Grants, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Las Vegas, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe and Los Alamos
Article IV Section 1 of the New Mexico Constitution provides citizens the right to Veto Referenda. NM Statutes 3 – 14 – 18 and 3 – 1 – 5 authorize Initiative for Commission Manager form of government. Article XIX of the New Mexico Constitution provides procedure for Legislative Referrals and Constitutional Conventions. §9 of Article 10 of the New Mexico Constitution (county officials), in §14 of Article 12 (school officials), and in NMSA 3-14-16 (elected officials in commission-manager municipalities) allows for the right to Recall.
The following three websites provide the most current information about your state’s ballot proposal news.