- Referenda: Statewide Referenda: 3% of the votes cast in the last election Gubernatorial election.
- Local Referenda: 10% of the votes cast in the last election Gubernatorial election.
- Nominations: Partisan Candidates, Greens and Libertarians – U.S. Senate. $290 filing fee – U.S. Congress – $100 filing fee – State House or Legislature $50 filing fee. Write In Candidates submit certificate of candidacy.
- Referenda Deadline: The first deadline for 2/3rds of the signatures on a referendum petition is 40 days after a controversial law goes into effect.
- Charter Amendments: 20% or 10,000 voters signatures. Available in only select areas.
- Charter Amendments Deadline: NO TIME LIMIT FOR COLLECTING SIGNATURES!
Article XI Section 4 provides Maryland citizens the right to home rule charter amendments by Initiative process.
Maryland Code Article 25 A 8 provides Maryland citizens the right to Referenda.
Charter Amendment Cities: Allegany, Caroline, Charles, Kent, Queen Anns, Worcester Counties: Anne Arundle, Baltimore, Dorchester, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Talbot, Wicomico
The following three websites provide the most current information about your state’s ballot proposal news.